Lady Lions Field Hockey Continues Dominance

Frank Wilton, Staff Writer

Going into the 2015 season, the Middletown North Field Hockey squad faced many questions.  With a 2014 unit comprised of primarily seniors, it was not a guarantee that the Lions would be a force this season.

Despite the concerns of many, the 2015 North team is off to a roaring start, and has tallied a 6-1-1 record thus far.  

This week was capped off with a great win Saturday.  With starters Christine Gebhardt and Milena Wilton out of the lineup, the Lions persevered and shut out Ocean Township 1-0.

The Lions’ lone goal in the game was scored by junior Jamie Golubinski.  The defense played a fantastic game, with junior goalkeeper Emily Kernan recording a third straight shutout; the fourth in her last five games.

On Thursday the 24th, the Howell Rebels traveled to Middletown North to take on the Lions.  North emerged victorious, topping Howell 4-0.  All four goals were scored by junior Hailee Hallard, who has lead the charge all season long for the Lions’ offense. Hallard scored two first half goals: one on a penalty shot and another with an assist from Gebhardt.  Then, with 17 minutes remaining, Hallard scored a goal with an assist from Gebhardt and another three minutes later with an assist from Golubinski.

On Monday, the Lions absolutely erupted, routing lowly Manalapan 7-0.  The Lions were once again fueled by Hallard, who compiled her first of two consecutive four goal performances.

The rest of the Lions aided Hallard in the game, with freshman Amanda Hallard, junior Gillian Svenson, and Gebhardt tallying goals.  They were aided with assists from Gebhardt, A. Hallard, H. Hallard, Wilton, sophomore Emily Cahill, Quinnipiac commit junior Kaylah Igarta, and senior Sara Cruz.

All in all, the Lions had a fantastic week.  They have a ton of momentum heading into October and are now among the Shore Conference’s upper echelon of field hockey teams.