The Lion's Roar

Hammers Hit the Mat! MHSN Wrestling Kicks Off

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Lion's Roar Staff, Writer

The Lions will look to fill a void left by two of the most decorated wrestlers in MHSN history in Nicko Cofone and Stanley Wojdylak.

The Middletown North wrestling program has been regarded as one of the best in the Shore Conference and in the state of New Jersey in recent years.  After graduating two of the most decorated wrestlers in Middletown North history in Nicko Cofone and Stanley Wojdylak, most programs expectations might be set lower. Middletown North is feeling confident heading into this year’s season under Head Coach Matt Sirchio, who is entering his 13th season as the Lions leader.  The program will be looking to capture the B-North Division and District 22 championship this season with many experienced and successful wrestlers returning. With the move of Long Branch to the Class A North division, the Lions will look to be crowned the new division champion in Class B North this season. Middletown North will have to compete with tough programs such as Ocean and Colts Neck in order to accomplish this team goal. 

Senior Jacob Anderson’s leadership will be the driving force behind Middletown North’s pursuit for the B-North Division Title.

Junior Tyler Klinsky will look to win his 3rd straight District 22 Title this year.

Middletown North will return six district medalists and two state qualifiers from last year’s squad. The Lions will be led by junior Tyler Klinsky, whom is a two time district champion, a region champion and who also won 40 matches last season. Klinsky will either wrestle at 106 or 113 pounds depending on the strategy that Coach Sirchio wants to deploy.

The Lions roster also features 195 pound senior Jacob Anderson, who went 33-3 with a District 17 championship and a third-place finish in Region 5 during the 2017-18 campaign.

The Lions will depend on the leadership and experience of Senior Nate Pujols during the 2018-19 campaign.

The Lions will look to the middle of their lineup to be the difference in taking the B-North title.   Juniors Thomas O’Keefe and Freddy Luchs will be leaned on to make a difference this year. O’Keefe (106 lbs.) who won 32 matches last season and placed second in districts and Freddy Luchs (120 lbs.) whom won 28 matches and also placed second in districts will play a vital role.  Senior Nate Pujols (138 lbs.). Pujols was 24-14 and placed third at districts will also be an important contributor. Sirchio also believes that hard working sophomore Nico Cerbo can fill the spot left by Cofone’s graduation. Cerbo was victorious in 21 matches last season, whiling also placing third at districts.  

The Lions lineup also features senior Caleb Dean to provide leadership along with juniors: Enrico Astorino, Chris McCarthy, Michael Puzo, Richie Wall, Eddie Farrell, Gabe Lubrano, Andrew Kanski.  The Lions also have a strong Sophomore class that includes: Lucas Santos, Jack Butler, Grant Heller, Kyle Puzo, John Cuttrel, and Andrew Zamor. The Lions also have Shawn Sullivan, a ninth grader, rounding out their lineup.

Coach Sirchio believes that this is a very competitive and driven group.  “This team features a talented group with experience. We will look for the senior leadership of Jacob Anderson and Nate Pujols to be the driving force behind the success of this year’s team” said Sirchio.

Good Luck to the Lions Wrestling program, whom open up their regular season

• Hammers Hit the Mat! MHSN Wrestling Kicks Off

Features and Columns

A Look Inside the Classroom

Alumni Spotlight

MHSN 2019 Hall of Fame Class is Announced

Features and Columns

Trade and Job Fair: Get the Scoop

Features and Columns

SOUP-ER Bowl Food Drive Hits Middletown North!

Features and Columns

Middletown North Wrestles at the Shore Conference Tournament

Features and Columns

Flex Scheduling for 2019-20 School Year

Features and Columns

Mr. Peter Milnes Named Middletown North Teacher of the Year

Features and Columns

Super Bowl 53 Preview: Patriots vs Rams

Features and Columns

2nd Marking Period Quarterly Exams Set to Begin

Features and Columns

North Students Present Pathway & Academy Success to Middle Schools

The news site of Middletown High School North.