Lions Baseball Expected to Have Successful 2021 Campaign

Michael Murphy, Writer

2021 Middletown North Baseball Preview

After watching their 2020 high school baseball season cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Middletown North Baseball Program took advantage of a summer league that gave much experience to this year’s returning players.  The Last Dance World Series, presented by Robert Wood Johnson Barnabas Health saw the young Lions squad not only develop, but take many by surprise with impressive victories over Freehold Township, Marlboro and Christian Brothers Academy.

Senior Colin Dowlin looks to build on the success of his 2020 campaign.

The Lions are looking to build on their summer success and head into the 2021 campaign with a strong feeling of optimism, as a deep returning class of players under Head Coach Ryan McCabe look to capture the A-North Division title.  The Lions success during The Last Dance World Series has left many people in the Shore Conference not taking Middletown North lightly.  The Lions have experienced players from the top to the bottom of their lineup. 

Senior Seton Hall bound Dan Frontera looks to be a force on the mound this season.

The Lions have two strong senior right-handed pitchers returning in Danny Frontera whom has committed to Seton Hall and Colin Dowlen. The pair shined in their 2020 summer performances with Frontera striking out six and allowing one earned run over four innings against Marlboro, while Dowlen struck out eight over five innings versus Christian Borthers Academy. 

The pitching staff will also feature the use of seniors Tyler Sharkey, Christian Malizia with juniors Jaden Ascolese, Nick Palmadesso, Matt Adamson, Michael Weinbel, Connor Clark, Ryan Fairhurst, Karl Strauch and freshman Dylan Briggs completing the staff.

The Lions offense will also look to build upon the success they had in July, with the return of star junior catcher Andrew Lombardi. Lombardi has been a rock behind the plate and provides power in the middle of the batting order.  Lombardi is viewed by many as one of the top catchers in the Shore Conference.

The Lions will look catcher Andrew Lombardi (left) and Dan Frontera (right) to lead the A-North Division Title.

The Lions infield lost Sophomore starter R.J. Kernan to an injury to start the year,  but the Lions will look to for the infield to to be strong with Christian Malizia, Karl Strauch, Michael Weinbel, Ryan Frontera, Matt Sherwin and Nick Palmadesso  contributing when Frontera and Dowlen are on the mound.  Senior Kevin Lisser will serve as the team’s Designated Hitter (DH).

The Lions will also look for seniors Dom Scerbo, Tony Sansone and Tyler Sharkey to make an impact in the outfield. Freshman Dylan Briggs and junior Matt Adamson will also look to contribute.  The Lions will also have a deep bench, giving Coach McCabe flexibility late in games to utilize his entire roster including juniors Aidan Sheehan, Matt Klimovich , Connor Clark and Ryan Fairhurst.  

High expectations and great confidence will be the perfect ingredients to lead the Lions to success during the 2021 season.  The Lions will open their season on Monday April 19, 2021 on the road at Holmdel High School to take on the Hornets. Good Luck to the 2021 Middletown High School North Baseball Program!

Photos via Shore Sports Network, Twitter and www.nj.com

2021 Middletown North

Baseball Schedule         

4/19 @ Holmdel

4/22 @ Red Bank Regional

4/22 @ Red Bank Regional

4/23 vs. Mater Dei

4/26 @ Long Branch

4/26 @ Long Branch

4/28 vs. Long Branch

4/28 vs. Long Branch

4/30 @ Howell

5/4 vs. Howell

5/6 vs. Manalapan

5/6 vs. Manalapan

5/8 vs. Manchester Township

5/10 @ Manalapan

5/10 @ Manalapan

5/12 @ Marlboro

5/14 vs. Marlboro

5/18 vs. Middletown South

5/20 @ Middletown South

5/24 @ Freehold Township

5/24 @ Freehold Township

5/28 vs. Christian Brothers

6/1 @ Christian Brothers

6/4 vs. Ocean Township