Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY) Award

Ryleigh Dargan, Staff Writer

The Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY) Award was founded in 1958.  HOBY’s mission is to inspire and develop our global community of youth and volunteers to a life dedicated to leadership, service, and innovation. Middletown High School North’s very own sophomore Emily O’Keeffe was selected to represent the school at the 2019 HOBY Conference.

This special opportunity includes participating in leadership training and motivation-building experiences.  The program also fosters students’ dedication to improving the lives of others. More than 10,000 students participate in HOBY Programs annually, along with  HOBY State Leadership Seminars for sophomore students. The four-day leadership training explores leadership from three perspectives: personal, group and societal.

When the Lion’s roar asked O’Keeffe about how she felt being nominated for the award she replied, “When I was nominated, I felt proud of myself. It was a great achievement to even be considered, since the award was for top all-around students.”

She is very excited to start working with new groups of people from all around New Jersey in order to further her leadership skills.

“It is exciting to be collaborating with people from different schools,” O’Keeffe said.

Congratulations Emily!