On Trump, the Women’s March, and the Week that Was

On Trump, the Womens March, and the Week that Was

Frank Wilton, Editor-in-Chief

This past week is sure to be one that many Americans will never forget.

When Donald J. Trump put his hand on the Bible on January 20th, took his oath, and began his term as the 45th President of the United States of America, he became the captain of a ship that will embark on a four year venture into uncharted territory.

As I walked through the halls of our school that morning, I saw a student body incredibly at odds with one another. I saw girls with heads of hair dyed shades of pink and green sit in the hallway with shirts that read, “NOT MY PRESIDENT!” In English, I sat behind a smiling boy clad in a white tee shirt depicting Trump as Super Man. From the room next door, I can hear dueling voices; one of which singing our national anthem and the other bellowing “It’s the End of the World as We Know It.”

Whether you believe the inauguration should be marked by the lyrics of F. Scott Fitzgerald or R.E.M., it is important to look at the day, and the next four years, objectively.

We witnessed the peaceful transfer of power from President Obama to a man that ran his entire campaign on being the total opposite of every he stood for. Think about that. Thousands have died to enact similar changes in foreign lands. We are blessed to live in such a state.

Remember, too, that the President is in office to serve you, not the other way around. The Constitution is in place to limit the power of the government, not the rights of the individual. If he pleases you, applaud his efforts. Vote for him again. If not, let your voice be heard.

And millions already have.

Therein lies the beauty of this nation. This weekend, women took to the streets of Washington, D.C., and across the globe to voice their displeasure towards Trump. Generally speaking, it was peaceful and non-disruptive (though a few brave Trump supporters in the crowd were met with violence). They voiced their concerns over the environment, reproductive rights, and the social stature of women.

Again, think about what happened through the lens of history. Millions of women (might I remind you that we are less than a century removed from the 19th amendment) loudly voiced their displeasure with the regime in power, and a bloody coup was not the result. Nor was the result use of government force. Instead, we are a nation whose president is forced to addressed the issues at hand due to the voices of millions.

Regardless of whether or not you’re shaking with fear or excitement for the next four years, there is one thing that we all share: citizenship. We are all Americans. We are all endowed with the inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. We are all compatriots in this great land seeking to form a more perfect union.

And, hopefully, we’ll get there one day. But, until then, may God bless America.