Rick Unterstein Softball Invitational Honors Late Teacher

Lion's Roar Staff, Writer

The Middletown High School North and Middletown High School South Girls Softball Teams hosted the Rick Unterstein Softball Invitational at Middletown High School North on May 1, 2021. The twelve team invitational featured the following high school teams: Toms River North, Freehold Township, Ocean, Manalapan, Red Bank Regional, Middletown North, Holmdel, Marlboro, Matawan, Middletown South, Red Bank Catholic and Howell.

The event displayed great tributes including Middletown High School North players wearing custom shirts honoring Coach Unterstein.  Other clear tributes included the painting of the softball dugout and the field closet that featured Coach Unterstein’s name.

The proceeds from the softball invitational will fund scholarship awards for a softball player from both Middletown North and Middletown South to assist in their academic future. Rick Unterstein was a beloved Science teacher at Middletown High School North who also served as an assistant softball coach for both the Lady Lions and Lady Eagles.

The Middletown community suffered Coach U’s unexpected passing in July of 2019 and his memory continues to have a lasting impact.  The teams also sold bracelets for $5 to help raise money for the event.