Monmouth County Championships

Kristy Daly, Staff Writer

On Wednesday May 8, and Friday May 10, the Monmouth County Championships were held on the grounds of Middletown High School North. Top varsity athletes competed in the two-day event starting at 4 PM each day.

Student athletes throughout Monmouth County gave their best efforts in their events to be recognized as champions through this meet. Both runners and throwers did everything they could to earn points for their team in each event.

At the conclusion of the first day of the Championships, senior Casey Bogues was titled Monmouth County champion in javelin, throwing 129-06; senior Melissa Golembieski placed fourth with 110-11. Additional achievements from Wednesday came from the following North students: junior Darien Rinn, who placed fourth in the 400IH (Intermediate Hurdles) at 66.54 seconds, senior Genesis Everett, who placed third (35-7), junior Katelyn Reid, who placed fifth (34-5.25) in Triple Jump, and senior Brian Dorobis, who placed sixth in High Jump with 6-0.

On the second and final day of the championships, hard-working athletes earned multiple PR’s. In pole vault, senior Jesus Rodriguez jumped 12-6, which placed him in second; Everett also placed second in Long Jump with 17-11.25. Freshman Hailey Guerrieri’s 16.12 second race in the 100 HH (High Hurdles) earned her fifth place. The girls 4×100 team consisted of Kathleen Mayhew, Bogues, Golembieski and Everett, who placed fourth in 50.78 seconds. Alex Bogues, sophomore, played sixth overall in Javelin, throwing 156-10.

Collectively, the boys team came in 15 out of 24 ranks with a total of 10 points, while the girls came in sixth, wrapping up 40 points as a team. The runners and throwers had to perform at their top-notch levels to earn their success.  The determination and passion within each athlete who competed was present throughout the two-day event.

Congrats to all those who earned a title or ran in this high level meet. Your athleticism and persistence have not gone unnoticed!