Interview with Chris Price: Rich Veth Scholarship Award Recipient

Senior pitcher Chris Price receives award at Blue Claws Stadium. Photo courtesy of Twitter.

Katie Hyer, Staff Writer

Senior pitcher Chris Price received the Shore Baseball Coaches Association Rich Veth Scholarship Award on May 7 at Blue Claws Stadium.

This award is dedicated to Richard M. Veth, who was an Industrial Arts Teacher and baseball coach in the Middletown Township school district for 32 years.  He was a 1965 graduate of Middletown Township High School and was the Lions’ head coach from 1979-2001.

Chris felt very honored to be recognized for his achievements. He said he did not think he was going to receive this award because there are many excellent athletes in Monmouth County.  He is proud to be recognized for something that he loves.

When asked about where the inspiration for his personal essay came from Chris said,“The essay kind of came from the heart. It was cool to reflect back on four years.”

In his essay, he wrote about playing for the JV team sophomore year and stated that he was moved up to Varsity junior year, where he made the all-shore team. He also wrote about how he never gave up on his goals.

Chris told The Lion’s Roar that he definitely feels he has grown, both on and off the field, throughout his high school career.  He stated that he became more mature, more decisive with his decisions and started thinking about the future.

Chris would like to thank his mom, dad and brother for always pushing him to do his best.  He would also like to thank his coaches and close friends for being so supportive throughout his four years at Middletown High School North.