Monmouth County State Track Meet

Justin Poole, Staff Writer

On Sunday January 21, the varsity boys and girls track teams set off early in the morning to go to Toms River for the Monmouth County Track Meet. Their hard work paid off because they placed in the top five out of all the schools that competed.  

The boys 800-meter relay came in first place and attained a news school record of 8 minutes and 8 seconds.  The astounding runners contributing to this feat were senior Jake Zappala, running a 2:02, senior Joey Guerrieri, running a 2:01, sophomore Kevin Carragher, running a 2:02, and senior Frankie Marrone, running a 2:03. All four runners were able to pass the baton off without a break, which allowed them to earn their great accomplishment.

In the varsity 400-meter relay the boys came in third place with an overall time of 3 minutes and 33 seconds. This group of runners was made up entirely of seniors.  Jake Zappala started off with a 52 second run, followed by Joey Guerrieri with a 54 second run, Pat Gallagher with a 54 second run, and Frankie Marrone finished the race with a 52 second run.

The girls also brought home some medals of their own to show off.  Senior Danielle Kerns and sophomore Madison Monath both vaulted seven feet, earning the team a total score 14 and allowing them to place fifth in the event.

North’s finest runners competed and brought home not only medals, but the pride to be a Lion.