Middletown North Football Playing in “Must Win” Game

Becky Zaino, Contributor

Middletown, NJ- The Middletown North Football program is looking to keep its consecutive playoff run going this season with a critical game on Friday night when faceoff against shore conference rival Long Branch High School.  The 7:00 p.m. matchup has Coach Steve Bush’s (3-3) Lions taking on Coach Dan George and the (5-1) Green Wave at Arnie Truex Field where Middletown North is undefeated this year.  The Lions are looking to build some momentum and clinch a playoff berth in the 2017 NJSIAA State Tournament with a victory.  In order to achieve this, the Lions will look to the leadership of its senior captains Austin Dewise, Connor Welsh, Anthony Canova, Tim McCann and Nicko Cofone. Along with a talented group of seniors, the Lions will need a solid performance from both the offensive and defensive line.  The Lions will also lean on a talented group of underclassmen and the strong play from quarterback Sean Glenn and wide receiver Aidan Campbell.

The Lions have weathered a very difficult schedule to this point and are looking to use their experience from difficult losses to Red Bank Catholic, Howell and Manasquan to push forward heading into the playoffs and the highly anticipated Thanksgiving Day game against Middletown High School South.  The Lions are staying positive and are looking for the home crowd to play a role in creating a home field advantage.  The Middletown North student body known as “North Nation” which has also been referred to as the “Roar of the Shore” has been amazing in supporting the football program this year and will look to do the same on Friday night.