Model U.N. Attends Annual Princeton Conference

Krissy Barillari, Staff Writer

PRINCETON- On the weekend of November 15, the Model U.N. Club attended its annual Princeton Conference.

Eighteen members of the club, along with chaperones Mrs. Patti Kelly, Mrs. Beth Lyon and Mrs. Serena Kirschbaum, took a bus Friday morning to the Hilton Hotel to start the three-day conference. The conference attracted students from numerous different schools, states and even countries.

At the Model U.N. Conferences students are delegates representing specific countries and topics. This year, the majority of students from Middletown North represented the country of Egypt. Each “delegate” was placed in a committee, such as the World Health Organization, United Nations and Human Rights Council. During their conferences each committee then debated and came up with resolutions regarding their assigned topics.

Initially, the Model U.N Club was supposed to leave after school on Thursday, but due to the snow and sleet, the trip was delayed. The club left the following morning during block one.  Shortly after the bus arrived at the hotel, students quickly dropped off their bags then hopped on another bus to Princeton University. There, the club took a tour of the historic college. Upon their completion of the tour, the students got dressed and began their committee sessions.

After numerous committee sessions, a speech from a UN Delegate,a “Delegate Dance”, and an award ceremony, the Model U.N. Club returned to Middletown North. Overall, the conference was a great experience for everyone involved and gave students from all over an extensive look into the United Nations.