Veterans Day at Middletown North

Maryn Anderson, Staff Writer

Veterans Day began in 1919, originally falling under the name of “Armistice Day” following the end of the first World War. Congress made it an annual observance by passing a resolution in 1926. The holiday became official in 1938. In the 80 years that have passed, it has in no way lost any of its sentiment or meaning to the country. Every November, flags are hung proudly as we remember those who have served, and honor those who are currently serving for our country.

“I have a high amount of respect for veterans, and I’m honored to have people in my country who risk their lives for my freedom,” said Mrs. Cheryl Krol, a US History teacher here at Middletown High School North.

All over our school, students are beaming with pride for their country, from the athletes to our highest academic achievers.

“I believe that it is an important holiday to celebrate those who have served and those who will serve, and should be taken as more than an excuse to stay home from work. It should instead be used as a day of remembrance for those who have risked their lives to protect us”, said junior Jonathan Rasnitsyn, who is a DECA and FBLA student, as well as a member of the Math Club and Yearbook Club at MHSN.

Junior Eddie Farrell, a member of the school’s football team, had this to say about Veterans Day: “Well, one day I’m going to be a veteran.  It is very important that these people are risking their lives for us.” Eddie further shared his plans for joining the military after graduation.

There are an estimated 18.8 million veterans living in the United States today, making up 7.6 percent of the population. We should celebrate them not only on Veteran’s Day, but every single day, as they continue to risk their lives for the freedoms we enjoy in America.