Tomorrow’s Teachers Observe Classes at MHSN

Rosie Magliulo, Staff Writer

The honors course, Tomorrow’s Teachers, prepares students for career paths in education. During the fourth marking period, students taking the course will intern at various schools in the Middletown district and will observe the grade levels of their choosing.

While deciding which grade levels to choose for their internships, students will observe all grade levels to gain an idea about where they would like to be placed. Observations started in the beginning of December, with special education observations conducted first.

Recently, the students have observed middle school classrooms, preschool classrooms and high school classrooms.  Within the next two weeks, each student will go to two elementary school classes of different grade levels for two days and observe the environments students are most comfortable in and the teaching strategies that teachers use.

In between student observations, Tomorrow’s Teachers come together and talk about what they have observed in each classroom. They talk about things that stood out to them and things that they liked about the class.  In addition, they also discuss possible aspects of the class that could be improved.  

Through their observations, students get to see what kind of teachers they would like to become and work on ways to reach their goals in the future.