Middletown H.S. North and Relay for Life of Middletown Host Charity Flea Market

Becky Zaino and Courtney Strauch, Writer

October has become synonymous with Breast Cancer Awareness programs throughout the world. According to the American Cancer Society, “death rates from breast cancer in the United States have dropped 39% between 1989 and 2015. This translates to 322,600 deaths avoided during those 26 years”.  This progress is greatly attributed to the countless volunteer hours of fundraising that is done every day by programs such as Relay for Life.

Middletown High School North Relay for Life faculty advisor, Tara Mahoney is looking to build on her success of fundraising.  The veteran teacher has spent the last decade running numerous campaigns through the American Cancer Society’s program Relay for Life to raise funds to find a cure for this deadly disease. “I am exceptionally passionate for fighting for a cure and I believe that it takes a community to unify in helping find a cure” stated Mahoney.

Mahoney’s focus for the fall is having Middletown High School North host a charity flea market on October 21, 2017.  The flea market is open to all vendors and all proceeds will be donated to the American Cancer Society.  The event will start at 10:00 a.m. and will conclude at 2:00 p.m.    Any vendors interested in renting a space to sell can contact Tara Mahoney at [email protected].  For more information pertaining to Relay for Life, check out their website: https://secure.acsevents.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=relay