United States Coast Guard Visits MHSN

Lion's Roar Staff, Writer

On May 3, 2021,  Bravo Zulu with the United States Coast Guard stationed in Atlantic City, NJ visited Middletown High School North’s Aerospace and Vision’s classes.  The Bravo Zulu arrived via helicopter on Monday morning while landing on the center of the Middletown High School North soccer field next to high elements.  Middletown North students anxiously awaited the helicopter’s arrival and you could feel the excitement in the air.  This visit was arranged by Middletown High School North teacher Peter Milnes who also served in the United States Coast Guard before his teaching career. Following the landing, members of the U.S. Coast Guard met with the Middletown High School North students to answer questions and share their experiences while serving the country.

The United States Coast Guard was on scene for approximately 1.5 hours and their primary function is search and rescue needs.  According to the website https://www.uscg.mil/, the United States Coast Guard is America’s maritime first responder and responsible for providing America’s economic, national and border security.  According to the United States Government, the United States Coast Guard is:

“the maritime security, search and rescue, and law enforcement service branch of the United States Armed Forces and one of the country’s eight uniformed services. The Coast Guard is a maritime, military, multi-mission service unique among the U.S. military branches for having a maritime law enforcement mission with jurisdiction in both domestic and international waters and a federal regulatory agency mission as part of its duties. It operates under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security during peacetime, and can be transferred to the U.S. Department of the Navy under the Department of Defense by the U.S. President at any time, or by the U.S. Congress during times of war. “

If you are interested in joining the United States Coast Guard, check out the link below: https://www.uscg.mil/Join/