MHSN Welcomes Mr. Cullen To The Faculty Staff

Rosie Magliulo, Staff Writer

As we say goodbye to former TV Production teacher, Mr. Wes Ciesla for the 2017-18 school year, we welcome Mr. Cullen to our Middletown North family. Cullen has quite the background knowledge when it comes to filming, after being featured in the movie, The Dark Knight Rises. So, why did he decide to come to North and teach? After a brief interview with him, I was able to get some information on this decision and his new plans for the year.  

Why did you decide that you wanted to start teaching at North?

I have worked many different kinds of jobs. My two favorite types of careers were teaching and working in television and film. When I saw the position open combining my two favorite passions I jumped on it right away. I saw a great opportunity to be able to teach students a subject that I have so much experience in and also to come back and teach in the town where I grew up is an added bonus.”

What goals do you have for your class this year?

“Right now there are only 3 classes on A days so one of my goals is to grow the program.

Creating more produced material by the students is also at the top of my list.  Bringing in guests from all aspects of TV/film from actors to directors, producers, writers, cinematographers to speak to the students about what they do and about the industry.

Getting the students work out there for people to see what they created such as getting their work accepted to film festivals outside of our own student fest.  

Giving the students a chance to build up their portfolios of work.”

Is there anything that you want to do differently in this class than before?

“I’m sure that every teacher runs their classroom different and in their own way.  I just want the students to get the best experience that they can and be able to decide if they want to further their career in the field.”  

Will there still be an annual film festival at the end of this year?

There will be a film festival at the end of the year and my goal is to make it grow. I am working with Mr. Corey at South to also have a combination film festival for both schools as another added film festival.  We will also be submitting the students films to many NJ film festivals in the area so hopefully if and when they do get accepted to screen we will have many a nice crowd of people to come and support them.”

Word going around is that you plan to take the students on a trip to an actual movie set, is this true?

“I would like to go on some trips that is true but it may be easier to have guests come to the classroom and speak, which many people I know in the industry already said they would be happy to do so.  There are many TV shows and films that are being created in New York and New Jersey so I do hope we can take a trip and show the students what it is really like on an actual set.”

Is it true that you were featured in a Batman movie?

“I have worked on over 50 productions at this point whether it be on television or film.  I have done some acting but for the most part I have worked behind the scenes in some capacity.  I did have the chance to work on the Dark Knight Rises for a few days while they filmed in New York City on Wall Street.  As I was there they needed more people to be in the scene, it was a big fight scene so I spent a few days in front of the camera.  It was by no means a featured role as many seem to love to embellish the rumor.  It was not only work on that set for me but I did have a lot of fun being part of a Chris Nolan film.  I had the chance to sit back and watch him work,that to me was the best part of the experience.”