Lunch: Buy or Bring?

Alex Lehotsky, Staff Writer

Throughout middle school, I was never a big fan of school lunch, even though I ¨ate¨ it everyday for 2 years. Everything from the pizza to the chicken tenders to the hamburgers tasted artificial. After all, I had been so spoiled in elementary school; I often had my mom bring me a hot lunch consisting of of the classic Perdue chicken nuggets and cookies. Once middle school came along, I would buy a lunch every day and end up throwing half of it in the garbage. By the time I was in eighth grade, I was sick of coming home starving everyday, and began to find things at home to take for lunch. I haven’t bought lunch since. As a freshman, I’ve been hearing a lot about the quality of North’s lunches, and all of the feedback I received was for the most part positive. This led me to be adventurous one Friday afternoon and not bring anything to eat, forcing me to buy lunch. I talked to my two friends who bought lunch everyday and asked them what I should try first, and they both suggested the pizza. I took their advice and bought a slice of pepperoni pizza and a bag of Doritos I have to admit, taking that first bite was a little bit nerve wracking, but once I had done it, I found myself a little bit surprised at the quality of the pizza. It was not nearly as bad as Bayshore’s, though not quite as good as regular pizza. After eating the Doritos, I was still hungry, and not completely satisfied with the amount and quality of the food I had just consumed. Even though I had originally told myself that I was going to try a little bit of everything throughout that following week, I knew after the first lunch that my plan was not going to happen. Overall, I would not say that North has the worst school lunches; from what I have heard, there are various options to select and you simply have to pick and choose. In my opinion, however, it’s easier to take lunch. I know that what I am bringing I will eat, and I will not go home starved. Even though there are multiple options on the lunch line, there are hundreds in the aisles of the grocery store.