The Lion's Roar

Movie Review: Venom

J.B., Writer

This week’s movie review is on the newly released “Venom” film starring talented actor Tom Hardy.  The Venom series, which was released on October 5, centers around one of the main villains of the Spider-Man universe. The Venom character portrays the many antagonistic and villain like qualities of alter ego Eddie Brock.  Eddie Brock is a journalist who is trying to redeem himself after being involved in a media scandal. Through the process of trying to investigate for a new story, Brock accidentally becomes the host of an alien strand that transforms him into his violent alter-ego known as Venom.

Throughout the movie,  Venom must use his newly obtained powers to protect the world from a dangerous organization called Life Foundation, led by founder Carlton Drake. Life Foundation is in search of their own alien strand to manipulate and use to control the world.  The Sony based film does not mirror some of the previously released Marvel themed movies. Throughout the film, the lack of appearance by Spider-Man, makes it hard to identify Venom’s role in the Marvel Universe, However, it allows for the Venom character to have his own identity. According to popular movie critic website, www.rottentomatoes.com, the movie received a low score of 30 and responded to some of the films struggles: “Venom’s first standalone movie turns out to be like the comics character in all the wrong ways – chaotic, noisy, and in desperate need of a stronger attachment to Spider-Man” states the website.  Although these critics have not given the newly released movie a high score, it is definitely worth seeing if you are a Marvel or comic book fan.

Featured Image Courtesy of Sony Pictures

• Movie Review: Venom

A&E

Barnes & Noble to Host Book Signing for Senior Sarah Curtis

• Movie Review: Venom

A&E

MHSN Performs The Little Mermaid

• Movie Review: Venom

A&E

The Nun Review

• Movie Review: Venom

A&E

Got a CLUE About the Fall Production at Middletown North?

• Movie Review: Venom

A&E

Middletown Arts Academy Provides Artistic Outlet

• Movie Review: Venom

A&E

New TV Series Manifest

• Movie Review: Venom

A&E

Middletown North Art Show Highlights Talented Students

• Movie Review: Venom

A&E

On Point National Dance Competition, Warren, New Jersey

• Movie Review: Venom

A&E

Middletown Township Talent Show is a Huge Success!

• Movie Review: Venom

A&E

Senior Film Maker Julia Picozzi Recognized as Best Director at Film Festival

The news site of Middletown High School North.
Movie Review: Venom