The Lion's Roar

Paperbacks vs. Blu-rays

Danica Santiago, Staff Writer

Many popular or well-known novels are given opportunities to hit the big screens. Movies that are based off of books draw attention to the original novels and give people more of a reason to read them. However, there are also some downsides to having these stories brought to theaters.

First, there are always changes made so that the movie versions are more ‘interesting’. For example, let’s head back to middle school when we read the Percy Jackson books. The movies that came out of the first two books widely upset the fans of the series, and also the author, due to the changes that were made. The ages and appearances of the main characters, parts of the plot and well-known characters not making appearances all contributed to fans’ frustrations.

Many books are given the same treatment. Fans of films often become angry when they read the books and find that their favorite parts from the films are not mentioned.  Some get to the point where nothing about a novel and film appear the same except names of characters and the setting.

Others, however, are given more of a lucky break. The Harry Potter movies are great examples of this. Even though there were major differences between the book series and movie series (such as the change of Hermione Granger’s skin color), the movies were well-received by the fans of the books.

When fans are told of their favorite novels being brought to the big screen, mixed emotions occur. Some are happy that the books are getting the recognition that they deserve, and others are afraid or annoyed because they don’t want their favorite books to be ruined when turned into movies. All of these feelings are understandable. No one knows if their favorite books will be ruined or not by the film industry.

• Paperbacks vs. Blu-rays

A&E

Middletown North Art Show Highlights Talented Students

• Paperbacks vs. Blu-rays

A&E

On Point National Dance Competition, Warren, New Jersey

• Paperbacks vs. Blu-rays

A&E

Middletown Township Talent Show is a Huge Success!

• Paperbacks vs. Blu-rays

A&E

Senior Film Maker Julia Picozzi Recognized as Best Director at Film Festival

• Paperbacks vs. Blu-rays

A&E

Middletown North Baseball 2018 Season Preview

• Paperbacks vs. Blu-rays

A&E

Senior Edition Newspaper: Family/Friends Add Your Final Message For The Class of 2018!

• Paperbacks vs. Blu-rays

A&E

Student Spotlight: The Artistic James Yusko

• Paperbacks vs. Blu-rays

A&E

International Women’s Day

• Paperbacks vs. Blu-rays

A&E

Declan McKenna and the Importance of Our Youth

• Paperbacks vs. Blu-rays

A&E

Middletown North Choir Members Perform for All-Shore Chorus Concert

The news site of Middletown High School North.
Paperbacks vs. Blu-rays