The Lion's Roar

‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review

John Mandato, Staff Writer

Do you plan on seeing Star Wars: The Last Jedi

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Star Wars: The Last Jedi was released on December 15th, 2017, and is the 8th installment in the main saga.

Without giving away spoilers, the movie picks up right where the last one ended, with Rey giving Luke his old lightsaber back. The Resistance is evacuating from their home base and is on the run from the First Order, despite the Resistance blowing up their base in the last one.

Let’s get the cons out of the way first.

Certain subplots in the film were completely unnecessary and made the film drag to a screeching halt, taking away from the stuff we really want to see. Also since the directors are not the same, with J.J. Abrams directing The Force Awakens and Rian Johnson directing The Last Jedi, the story suffers as a whole.

Certain elements that were set up so perfectly by J.J. Abrams are either completely ignored or thrown away entirely. Since I do not want to give away spoilers, I am unable to go completely in-depth, but it gets really bad once you start to nitpick things out.

Another problem was the humor. For the most part I personally enjoyed it, but sometimes it did not know when to cut it out. There would be a serious moment with a lot of tension only for it to be ruined by a quick witted one-liner. Some of it could have been better, but for the most part it was fine.

My final gripe is how the characters were treated.

Past characters seem to be toyed around with and weren’t being given the proper treatment they deserved, and new characters that were introduced had the time taken to develop them, which were sometimes an utter waste.

With that out of the way there were some the things I liked about the film.

First, the visuals. The visuals in The Last Jedi are some of the best shots in the entire series, and the overall cinematography should deserve some type of award.

Second, the fight scenes were executed flawlessly, and were some of the most entertaining ones out of the series as well.

Another thing that was done well was that some of the characters are still incredibly enjoyable and fleshed out pretty well. Kylo Ren, Rey, Poe, and Luke are the ones that stand out in my mind.

The story itself had its problems, but it did a good job continuing the plot along, and I am incredibly excited to see how everything will unfold.

I could go on, but my overall opinion of the film is simple. If you are a Star Wars fan you probably have already saw and will see it a few more times, but if you aren’t fan it’s not gonna do you any favors either.

• ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review

A&E

‘The Disaster Artist’ Review

• ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review

A&E

SheIn: Is It Legit?

• ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review

A&E

Album Review: ‘American Teen’ by Khalid

• ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review

A&E

How to Dress an Outfit Up

• ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review

A&E

A Merry, Merry Christmas Carol

• ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review

A&E

FCCLA

• ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review

A&E

SWITCH IT UP! Super Mario Odyssey Released for Nintendo System

• ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review

A&E

Rockefeller Celebrates the 85th Annual Tree Holiday Lighting

• ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review

A&E

Fuel the Fire

• ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review

A&E

Ice Hockey Preview

The news site of Middletown High School North.
‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review