Boys Tennis Interview

Dane Calhoun, Staff Writer

This Spring, the Middletown North Boys Tennis Team looks to have a successful season.

The Lion’s Roar interviewed Senior Zach Puccia to get a look inside the boys team and see how the players feel about the upcoming season.

The Lion’s Roar asked Zach a few questions regarding the team.  Here’s what he had to say.

Who are the key players on this year’s team?

I would say myself and Chris O’Gorman.

Do you have captains?

James Miranda and I will take the leadership role with this year’s team. However, everybody on the team has a voice and I hope the team knows that because that can build good team chemistry.

Who’s the coach of the Boys Team?

Mr. Blake Abbot is our coach. He has a good connection with the players and I think that this year down the road that will help us.

When is your first practice and game?

Our first practice is on March 5, and our first game is on April 1.

How many days a week do you practice?

We practice five days a week at Tindall Park.

What do you work on at practice?

We work on our serving, groundstrokes, footwork and conditioning.

Do you have any personal goals for this season?

My personal goals would be to get more team wins this year than last year.  Individually, I would like to qualify and win at least one match at both the Monmouth County Tournament and State Tournament.

Do you have any team goals?

I think as a team we would all like to help the newcomers improve so we are prepared for future seasons. More team wins than last year would help us as a team as we had seven team wins last year.

Would you like to add anything else about yourself or the team?

As one of many seniors on the team, I would say for all of us seniors that I would like to end my high school career with a bang. Not only would I like to succeed individually but as one whole team. However, it’s not only about winning every match to me; it’s about seeing everyone, including myself, improving day after day, week after week and showing hard work and dedication on and off the court. I am excited to start my last ride as a lion and cannot wait for the season to begin.

This concludes The Lion’s Roar’s interview with Zach Puccia. We wish the best this year for the Boys Tennis Team!