Slam Dunk Autism Challenge

Anna DiBrita, Staff Writer

On January 20, Middletown North’s Lady Lions participated in a tournament titled “Slam Dunk Autism Challenge” raising awareness for the disorder. This tournament raised thousands of dollars by selling bracelets, food, and tickets to get into North’s upper gym to watch intense basketball games.

The Lady Lions faced Colts Neck at 2:45 p.m. Schools from all over NJ were scheduled to play at Middletown High School North, resulting in hundreds of people entering the building throughout the day in support of the cause.

Although the girls basketball team lost 47- 37 on Saturday, the real reason the girls were on the court was to show their support in fighting for a cure for autism. Sophomore Olivia Cerbo shared her reasons for being there with The Lion’s Roar.

“A lot of people take for granted what they are given, but many of us do not pay attention to a serious challenge we face today, autism. There needs to be more research put into it, and that is why we hosted the tournament raising money for it,” she said.  

The schools involved in the tournament included Toms River East, Nottingham, Hopewell Valley, Mater Dei, Manasquan, Colts Neck, Red Bank Regional, Steinher, Manchester and Rumson.

The tournament is held annually and changes causes every year. In 2017, the tournament was dedicated to raising money and awareness for those battling cancer.  What will next year’s cause be?  Be sure to come out and support this amazing fundraiser!