A Success at Middletown Day

Dena Lombardo, Editor-In-Chief

Middletown Township hosted its annual Middletown Day this past Saturday, September 23, on Croydon Hall’s field running from 11 A.M. to 5 P.M. and featured several vendors, tents, games, and a live band and musicians.

The event, organized by hundreds of volunteers and Middletown Township’s head of Department of Recreation, Janet E. Dellett, was extremely organized and the amount of work showed through the great outcome and opinions of the guests and volunteers.

Teacher at Middletown High School North Cheryl Krol attended the event with her husband and two children: three and five; “Since they’re young they liked the carnival stands and blow ups and of course the petting zoo… oh and the balloons!”  

When asked if there was enough to do at the event, Mrs. Krol answered that there in fact was, and that the price of everything was very affordable too. Mrs. Krol then added some of her own input on an adult guest perspective, “There was a lot of information for different and new places coming to Middletown. There’s a swim school coming to Middletown that I’m interested in and most likely going to join. But overall it was very informative.”

Another factor that Mrs. Krol and her family, as well as many other families in Middletown would agree to have enjoyed: “And they handed out free stuff, everyone likes that!”

From the perspective of the volunteers at Middletown Day, another teacher of Middletown High School North, Jonathan Scala, participated in the planning of the event with his MHSN Student Government club.  Each member of the club was required to sign up for a 30 minute shift of volunteering: it included advertising the club and support for it, selling MHSN merchandise, and providing an overall positive vibe from the school.

When asked for his input of the event and how important it was that students volunteer, he said “It’s important so that the students can be moreso a part of the Middletown Community and show our North Pride.”

Mr. Scala also noted that the group was not focused on raising money through selling but more focused on trying to advocate the new Middletown North Hall of Champions, a beautification project coming to the Hall of Champions at the school. 

In his final notes, Mr. Scala added that he was extremely proud and happy with the participation not only that student government has given to the school, but has given to the community through fundraising events and promoting the Wall of Champions and spreading awareness and raising for Breast Cancer.

Overall, Middletown Day proved to be a very successful and informative event, that pleased both the guests and the volunteers there. From both the perspectives of a mother and guest, and a volunteer, there were positive reviews. The several stands that lined the walkways and fields of Croydon Hall had great opportunities to advocate their causes, promote, and sell, while the crowd seemed extremely content with the events that Middletown provided and the free merchandise being handed out.