Student Identification in Middletown North

Richard Dewitt III, Staff Writer

At Middletown High School North, the students have been subjected to an edict that caused a massive uproar in the student body. The new rule is that all students must have their identification present and around their necks in the name of school safety, this identification includes a picture of the student and their coinciding numbers.

The idea of forcing identification to be present at the risk of punishment has ignited anger in the school student body.  An interviewed junior said “This can be compared to when the Germans forced their populace to wear identification badges.” Some view that quote as radical but there are many dissenting viewpoints on this new law.

Middletown North student, Johnny Vitale, said “It’s Level of function is debatable. Most school systems have and do function fine without such rules and it is universally despised by the vast majority of the student body.” This seems to be the sentiment of the majority of students interviewed. With a vast amount asked, non voiced a pro-lanyard opinion.  

With the student body in major disagreement with the issue, the adults had different ideas; the woman asked was a mother of a student at Middletown High School North, she said “I agree with the rule because it is safe for the kids. If someone decided to come to school with a gun or hurt the kids then they would know if they are a student or who they are [sic.]” Safety is an important factor in school and is required for students.

The question seems to be; are we willing to sacrifice our anonymity for our safety?